Contextual Medicine SIG
Contextual Medicine Special Interest Group
Ellen Lewis, MD
Denver, CO, USA
Josephine Loftus, MD – President
Direnc Sakarya, MD– Vice President/President-Elect
Ellen Lewis, MD – Past President
Maarten Albaarse-Member at Large
Reza Hosseini Ghomi MD, Member at large
Adrienne Lapidos, PhD – Member at Large
Deepu George PhD- Member at large
Staci Martin, PhD - Programs Chair
Sarah Staats, MA - Student Representative
The mission of the Contextual Medicine SIG is to provide a forum to discuss and develop the integration of CBS with all aspects of the field of medicine.
Topics of Interest
--Developing CBS-based case conceptualization for psychological flexibility and psychopathology, integrated with models and language familiar to medical practitioners.
--Public health, socio-cultural, and economic issues relevant to practices of medicine including prescribing practices, and local variation in such issues.
Description of SIG membership
The membership is open to all ACBS members, of all categories, interested in these issues from the perspective of contextual behavioral science. Please note that all members are welcome to join; this SIG is not limited to people in prescribing roles.
1. Annual meeting at the World Conferences.
2. Maintain the Contextual Medicine listserve.
3. Consider collaboration with other ACBS SIGs, such as the Research and Clinical Practice Collaborative SIG, to further develop research and clinical directions from this conceptual basis.
4. Sponsor relevant presentations for the World Conferences.
5. We will consider writing a request to the Institute of Medicine calling for study of certain specific current pharmacology practices, in light of recent findings of long-term harm. We will discuss which specifics, of which medications, to include in this, and how best to communicate the request. We will consider including research findings from ACT and RFT-based outcome studies. We will consider including recommendations for best pharmacological practices, evidence-based non-pharmaceutical approaches, and recommendations to use a functional contextual approach to guide future research. We will consider collaborating with other organizations to strengthen this request.
5. A flexible data base. accessible from our CM listserve, indicating available placements, internships, etc. for students in relevant fields.